Friday, 17 June 2011

Six dead in two Nigerian bombings; Islamists suspected

Abuja- Up to six people were reported dead after two bombings in Nigeria on Thursday at police headquarters in Abuja and near a church in north-eastern Borno state.
Nigerian police blamed the radical Islamist sect Boko Haram for the deadly suicide bomb attack on the police's Abuja headquarters, where at least two people were killed.
Just hours later, a blast that rocked the city of Damboa's local government area in Borno state killed four teenagers and injured one person, according to Borno state police commissioner Alhaji Jinjiri Abubakar.

That attack occurred near the Church of the Brethren facility in Damboa, Vanguard reported.
The Islamic sect Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the Abuja attack in a telephone call in Maiduguri, according to our source.

In the Abuja attack, where the death toll is expected to rise, the suicide bomber sought to break through the main entrance door of police headquarters. The blast apparently triggered a chain reaction of explosions involving dozens of vehicles parked on the police grounds.
Seventy-three cars were damaged in the blast, which occurred at 11 am (1000 GMT), according to officials.
'Police will not succumb to the demands of groups threatening it,' Sola Omore, police spokesman said.
Witnesses saw heavy smoke rising above the building, while a journalist of the Nigerian news agency NAN said people heard the explosion in the newsroom office.
The blast came four days after police announced plans to apply more pressure on Boko Haram, which is being held responsible for a recent string of attacks in the north-east of the country.
On Wednesday, Boko Haram, which for months has been carrying out explosive attacks on police stations in Borno, threatened to wage a jihad or holy war in Nigeria.
'We want to make it known that our jihadists have arrived in Nigeria from Somalia where they received real training on warfare from our brethren who made that country ungovernable,' Boko Haram was quoted as announcing by the local press on Thursday.

'This time round, our attacks will be fiercer and wider than they have been,' the statement, written in Hausa, a widely spoken language in northern Nigeria, added.
Omore said the incident was not an embarrassment to the police force and that the inspector general will not resign his position because of the attack.
Less than a month before, a similar explosion injured several others in Zuba, a town near Abuja.
It is feared that Police Chief Hafeez Ringim and other top officers were the targets of the attack, as the bomb went off shortly after their convoy entered the headquarters.
Witness said the death toll could rise, as the blast occurred in a busy parking lot.
The explosion is the fourth in the nation's capital since October 2010

Follow us on twitter:!/Newgenafrica

Visit our partner site:


No comments:

Post a Comment